Saturday, March 8, 2008

False Outs

Why must you always destroy me, false outs?
Causing confidence when I should have doubts
Giving me hope when I should have none
I must learn to spot you so that I can run

Like a nine on the river for a ten high straight
But eight jack beats eight six and I bemoan my fate
Or a late ace for Broadway and I feel such a rush
But the ace was a spade which gave someone a flush

Why must you torment me, O draws of no use
You almost convince me to stop playing loose
You make me go broke and need to buy more chips
And feel like a sailboat racing against cruise ships

When the river brings a set of tens I'll be betting the max
Not knowing that my opponent already had a set of jacks
Or I draw the nut flush thanks to the board's second ace
Which gives my opponent a boat and tears flow down my face

So many times I've loved my odds and yet was drawing dead
I thought that I found a gold mine but it was a pyrite bed
Therefore I must to apply what I've been writing about
And bet using my mind without praying for false outs

No comments: